Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Speakers

Hello! I hope everyone had a nice Easter or Passover!

I have a ton of work to do before finals (which are in two weeks) including an organic chemistry test next week, a public health presentation on ebola due next week, physics lab due tomorrow, and various club responsibilities, so this entry is going to be a little short and all about the various speakers I have heard speak at Tulane. I have heard a lot of speakers here, but I'll mention my favorite three here.

President Barack Obama was definitely very, very inspiring to hear speak at Fogelman Arena. We waited in line at 7:30 am for his 10:00 am speech last year when he was still a presidential hopeful. His speech was very moving, and it was touching to hear him speak about the problems facing New Orleans and hearing his proposals about protecting the wetlands and providing more for the public schools.

from http://my.barackobama.com/

Sir Salman Rushdie, the famous author (Midnight's Children, The Satanic Verses), was also another one of my favorite speakers. When he came to speak to us last year, he was very funny and eloquent, and I left feeling just a little bit more enlightened. I told my friend Maeve who went with me that I wish I could be his grand-daughter so I could listen to him speak all the time.

from www.tulane.edu/

Anderson Cooper, the news anchor and journalist who I have had a big crush on forever, came to speak last year as well, and I can still say I have a big crush on him. He spoke about the importance of rebuilding New Orleans and about his unique experience as a journalist.

from www.tulane.edu/

Anyways, that's all from me. Wish me luck with all my work! And I still wish all the college-bound kids luck with their decisions! Hope to see you at Tulane!

No comments: