Tuesday, March 17, 2009

CACTUS Field Day

I know I've talked a lot about CACTUS (the Community Action Council of Tulane University Students) already, but I'm really involved in it and love the community service activities I get to do because I'm involved in it.

Last Friday was CACTUS field day in which about 200 kids from various local elementary schools were invited to come play on Newcomb quad. CACTUS encouraged other student organizations such as Greek life, student government, ROTC, etc to come out and sponsor a table with different events for the kids, and we had kettle corn, snowballs, and even a rock climbing wall!
The boys of Phi Gamma Delta "mummifying" kids with toilet paper.
A member of the juggling club teaches a little girl to juggle.

Mostly, I sat at the Women in Science table. We had cookies and bought frosting and sprinkles that we let the kids decorate. It got a little (okay.. a lot) messy, but it was a lot of fun.

Lindsey helping a kid with some sprinkles

Other than that, I've just been really busy with school. I went to this "Undoing Racism" workshop this weekend that was really interesting and tackled a lot of issues surrounding race in New Orleans. I also had an Orientation Coordinator meeting on Sunday for next fall and I'm so excited to get to meet all the incoming freshman and help show them around (I'm going to be in Butler but they might move me to Monroe... so if you're living there next year, you'll probably see me around).

What else? Oh. Next week is spring break, and I'm going back home to California to just chill out for a bit. I am very excited for that.

Anyways, that's it for now! I hope everyone gets the chance to visit Tulane before they have to make their final college decisions!

No comments: